Head


Auchinleck House, 10 miles east of Ayr by Auchinleck, were originally owned by a family who took its name from the lands (de Auchinleck). King James IV gave the land to Thomas Boswell from Baluto/ Fife in the 1500s. The Boswell's built the original castle on the lands soon after.

Auchinleck House

 

Auchinleck House

Auchinleck Mansion House, or The Place of Auchinleck, as it was once known, was built by Lord Auchinleck, James Boswell, in the late 1700s. The Scottish classical-style mansion was designed by Robert Adams, one of Scotland's most famous architects.

The death of Lord Auchinleck in 1782, saw Auchinleck House remain in the Boswell family until it passed through the female lines to the Malahide family. In the 1920's, Talbot de Malahide, the great-great-grandson of James Boswell, who built Auchinleck House, sold Auchinleck to another Boswell, Lt. Col. John Douglas Boswell.

The House has recently been acquired and restored by The Landmark Trust. Auchinleck House can now be booked for holidays through The Landmark Trust Website.