The Old Cemetery in Dalmellington
centre contains the Mausoleum of the
McAdam's, once owners of the vast
Craigengillan Estate, and relations of
McAdam, the road surfacing
Some headstones in the Old Cemetery
date from 1682, with skull and crossbones
carved on them.
The Cemetery also has a Memorial in
honour of Covenanters from the area.
Also in the village centre is the
Motte from the 1100s. The top of the
fortification is about 70ft above the
village, with great views.
There was a Tower House on top of the
Motte and buildings around it, all
protected by wooden fences, ditches and
It is believed the fortification was
built for Thomas Colville Le Scott, a
prominent land owner in the Dalmellington
area at that time.
Dalmellington Parish Church is on the
north side of the village. The church was
built in 1846 of local Dunaskin
The Church was originally known as The
Kirk o` The Covenant. The red doors are
believed to symbolize the blood of
The large Cemetery at the church has
great views all around. The hill in the
distance is the 1,522ft Benbeoch,
a popular hike.
On the south side, high above the
village, is the War Memorial. In front of
the War Memorial is a smaller Mining
Memorial dedicated to Mineworkers of The
The Dalcairney Water Falls are 2 and a
half miles southwest of Dalmellington by
Dalcairney Farm. There is a small car
park by the Falls and a few walking
routes in that area. The Falls are famous
for freezing over in long cold spells,
allowing dramatic photos. Map.
The Scottish Dark Sky Observatory is
up on the hills in Craigengillan Estate,
close to Loch Doon, 4 miles southeast of
Loch Doon is about 5 miles southeast
of Dalmellington, past the
There is the Roundhouse
Cafe at Loch Doon Dam, popular for
snacks and has a telescope for viewing
the Ospreys in summer. The Cafe also has
a huge panoramic photo of all the hills
Mountains with heights on them.
The Ness Glen
walk departs from the Cafe, leading down
through a Gorge into Craigengillan
Estate. The sides of the Gorge are over
100 feet high in places, with the path
having bridges and walkways over the
Loch Doon has a number of hills /
mountains around it from 1,200ft to
2,700ft, ideal far all levels of
The loch is 7 miles long, with a
narrow road all the way to the south
side, popular with cyclists and for a
slow scenic drive, with Loch Doon Castle
at the south side.
There is also a forest road that leads
from the south side of Loch Doon to the
Stinchar Falls, 7 miles in distance,
popular for mountain biking, passing the
scenic Loch Riecawr.
The earliest history of Dalmellington
is of the Motte from the 1100s.
Dalmellington expanded over the
centuries as a market town.