The 26 room Dumfries Arms
Hotel is now one of the top wedding
hotels in Ayrshire with a function room
for 50 to 250 guests.
The 9 room Royal Hotel has
a 60 seat restaurant.
The Lochside Hotel &
Spa is 5 miles southeast.
Cumnock Old Church
Cumnock town grew from the mid 1800s,
mainly around coal mining and iron stone.
This is the main town in the area, a
market town for the surrounding villages
built around the coal industry such as
Auchinleck, Glenbuck, Logan, Lugar, New
Cumnock and Ochiltree. The railway lines
from Ayr and Kilmarnock reached the town
in 1872, allowing the transport of coal
and iron stone around the country.
The last coal mines closed in the late
1900s such as Kames in 1968, Killoch in
1987, and Barony in 1989. The A-Frame of
Mine is all that remains of the
industry, retained as a memorial with a
picnic area around it.
Institute is a small free museum in
the town centre with information on
Cumnock Pottery, mining in the area, and
has a room dedicated to James Keir
Hardie, founder of the Labour Party, with
many of his personal belongings. Hardie
lived in Cumnock for a large part of his
The Bata Factory opened in 1964 as one
of the most modern shoe factories in the
UK. This factory has now evolved into the
Factory Outlet Store on the southeast
side of the town.
The three main Estates in the area are
Glaisnock House within one mile south of
Cumnock, Dumfries House two miles west,
and Auchinleck House 6 miles