William Ferguson had amassed a considerable
fortune as a medical practitioner working in
London. His high standing in the community, led
to the post Provost of Ayr for a number of
years. It was at that time, William Ferguson
had the older portion of the present house
built and named the land Doonholm.
On his death in 1776, William Ferguson left
Doonholm to his eldest daughter Elizabeth, who
married Malcolm Fleming of Barochan in
The estate was bought by John Ferguson (a
merchant in Calcutta) in 1783, who was a nephew
of William Ferguson. The death of John Ferguson
in 1790, saw the lands of Doonholm return to
the Fleming's of Barochan.
The Fleming's sold Doonholm to John Hunter
An addition in 1818 to Doonholm House gives
the present day look.
By the middle of the 1800s, Doonholm had
been purchased by Lord Blackburn (one of Her
Majesty's judges). The death of Lord Blackburn
in 1896 saw Doonholm sold again, probably to
the Kennedy's, the present day owners.
Doonholm House and surrounding grounds are
private and not open to the public. The most
popular, and scenic canoe route in Ayrshire, is
from the Riverside Inn next to the A77, 5 miles
south of Ayr, down the River Doon, through
Doonholm Estate and Alloway.